monster-related question:

Posted on

Imagine you’re an eight-foot tall humanoid creature who has just come to life. You’re wandering around a city for the first time. You’ve never seen cars or stores. You’ve barely seen people, and those people were scary. What kind of trouble do you get into?

Advertisements

11 thoughts on “monster-related question:

Erin Sneath responded:
    January 26, 2014 at 1:14 pm

And no, you’re not Frosty The Snowman.

Derek Wilken said:
    January 26, 2014 at 1:18 pm

You hit your head… a lot

Pete said:
    January 26, 2014 at 1:19 pm

First off the noise would drive you mad. The smell of the unclean air would make you sneeze ALOT. Also, you would be overrun with paranoia of people staring at you, then screaming.

Erin Sneath responded:
      January 27, 2014 at 8:55 am

Good call on the noise. Do you think people would scream in this day and age, when we have pretty easy access to realistic monster prosthetics? I’d think they’d be more inclined to giggle and look around for a hidden camera.

Tony said:
    January 26, 2014 at 8:23 pm

Depends on what you mean by monster, I guess. Are we talking something basically psychologically human, curiosity and fight-or-flight included?

Presumably something like bigfoot or a yeti would try to resort to concealment…. finding caves (dark buildings), climbing trees, lurking in alleys…. just generally trying to hide out for a true night that never arrives in a big city.

On the gripping hand, a created monster — a golem, a robot or Frankenstein’s monster — might have some understanding of the city. However, that understanding might be limited by the prejudices of its creator and the mechanism of its creation.

Erin Sneath responded:
      January 27, 2014 at 8:50 am

In this case, a created monster. I’ve been thinking of him as a baby in an adult body (quick to learn but without experience) but that isn’t entirely accurate because he is capable of walking (clumsily) right away.

steve said:
    January 26, 2014 at 10:48 pm

Having two monsters of my own, I know the most common reactions are: staring in wide eyed awe, and crying in fear. I don’t think many creatures would lash out in anger or do anything to draw attention to itself.

Erin Sneath responded:
      January 27, 2014 at 8:51 am

Thanks, I’ll keep those things in mind.

Good day! I know this is kind of off topic but I was wondering if you
    knew where I could locate a captcha plugin for my comment
    form? I’m using the same blog platform as yours and I’m having difficulty finding one?

Thanks a lot!

Erin Sneath responded:
      September 21, 2014 at 10:27 am

I have no idea. Other than posting blog updates, I haven`t tinkered at all with WordPress settings since the day I started. Sorry.

Loola said:
    December 26, 2014 at 9:22 am

What’s up, I read your blogs like every week. Your writing
    style is witty, keep it up!